Duties & Responsibilities
As chief executive officer for the City, the City Manager is responsible for:
- Establishing the agenda for City Council meetings
- Hiring and supervision of City employees
- Implementing policies approved by City Council
- Maintaining effective and positive relationships with public and private agencies and organizations that affect the City’s interest.
- Managing the City as a whole
- Presenting the annual budget, overseeing capital improvement programs
About John Castile
City Manager John Castile has served as City Manager of the City of Greenville since July 2010. The City Manager is appointed and held accountable by City Council.
Originally from Columbia, South Carolina, Castile joined the City of Greenville in 1995 and in 2006 was named Deputy City Manager, serving in that position until his appointment as City Manager.
Education Castile is a 1988 graduate of Furman University with a B.A. in Political Science and a 2006 graduate of Walden University with a Masters in Public Administration.
Memberships He is a member of:
- Leadership Greenville Class 31
- Liberty Fellowship Class 2012
- Riley Institute Diversity Leadership 2006 Upstate Class V
- Board of Directors and Member, South Carolina City and County Manager's Association (SCCCMA)
Community Involvement Castile’s community involvement has included:
- 100 Black Men of Greenville Board
- Bon Secours St. Francis Health System Board
- Bridges to Augusta Board
- Greenville Arena District Board
- Greenville County Schools Shining Star Teacher Recruitment Initiative
- Greenville Urban League Board
- Leadership Greenville Board of Regents
- LiveWell Greenville Advisory Board
- Rotary Club of Greenville