After completion, Citizens Academy graduates are given the opportunity to join the Greenville Police Department's Citizens Academy Alumni Association in order to keep in contact with their classmates and the police department.
Some of the topics that will be covered in the 2019 Citizens Academy are:
- GPD structure and operations
- Police training simulator
- Use of force
- Vice & Narcotics
- Traffic stops
....and many others!
2019 Citizens Academy Info
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must live or work in the city limits of Greenville, SC (check your address here)
- Must attend a minimum of 7 of the 9 classes
- Must participate in a Ride Along as part of the class (scheduled through the Citizens Academy Moderator)
Individuals are ineligible to participate if any of the following apply:
- Pending arrest or conviction for any offense
- Any felony arrest within the previous ten (10) years
- Any misdemeanor arrest within the previous five (5) years
- Any conviction of a felony or any domestic violence
- Pending arrest or conviction of a felony or any domestic violence
- Currently under investigation by any law enforcement agency
- Intentional deception on arrest record or failure to report an arrest in this application
- Has been denied employment by this agency and is ineligible to reapply
- Has been terminated by this agency or resigned to avoid disciplinary action
- Has been previously rejected from the Citizens Academy due to failure to disclose arrest record or other untruthful information on application
- Does not possess a valid, government-issued identification
- Any person who is a member of any organization or participates in any organization deemed by the Chief of Police to be subversive to the department or the policing profession
- Any person who is or has been party to a civil lawsuit against the City of Greenville, the Greenville Police Department, and/or any current employees of the City of Greenville
- Any person who is delinquent in the payment of court-mandated child support
- Any person who appears mentally ill-prepared to exhibit sound judgment.
The Chief of Police or his designee retains the right to allow or deny anyone from participation in this program at his/her discretion, with or without cause or explanation.
Class Times and Locations
Classes are held Tuesday evenings from 5:30-8:30pm on the following dates:
Session I (Spring 2019)
Session II (Fall 2019)
- Classes are held at the GPD Range & Training Facility at 688 Mauldin Rd., Greenville, SC 29607 unless otherwise noted.
- Participants are required to attend a minimum of 7 out of the 9 classes in order to graduate.
- The GPD Citizens Academy is free to all participants. Transportation is not provided. Refreshments will be served each class.
Questions? Contact Officer Michelle Lentz at email@example.com.