Residential Service Line Conversion

The City of Greenville is pleased to announce the POWER ON service line conversion program, available to all homeowners in the city of Greenville. Interested residents may submit a written request for participation in the program.

While converting overhead power lines to underground can be a complex and costly endeavor, the City's program has been designed to streamline the process for burying residential service lines and to make it an affordable option for homeowners by providing financial assistance.

For each eligible residence, the program will pay up to $3,000 toward the cost of converting the overhead service line to underground. If the total cost of the service line conversion exceeds the $3,000 subsidy paid by the program, the homeowner must pay the remaining balance, in advance, before the work begins.

The total cost will vary from residence to residence and will depend on a number of factors. The average cost of a residential conversion is $2,900.


  • Step 1: The home owner fills out the online “POWER ON Program Application” under the quick link, at right. 
  • Step 2: Once the online application is received, the Capital Projects Manager will submit the applications to Duke Energy at the end of each month.
  • Step 3: Duke Energy receives the monthly applications from the City. A representative from Duke Energy meets with the homeowner at the residence to determine the scope of the project (this will include identifying a suitable underground route, determining whether the meter base will need to be changed, etc.) and provides the homeowner with a cost estimate.
  • Step 4: The homeowner decides whether to proceed and has 30 days to pay any additional cost over the allotted $3,000 subsidy (if necessary).
  • Step 5: Once the homeowner has met all applicable conditions, Duke Energy schedules and completes the service line burial work, switches over the power feed and removes the associated overhead service line.
  • Step 6: If the meter box has to be converted to receive the underground power,  the home owner will get their own electrician to perform this work. The City will reimburse the homeowner $300 toward this cost. 
  • Step 7: When a meter box conversion is needed, the homeowner will be provided with the meter box conversion form, to submit with the electrical invoice for the $300 reimbursement. Submit the request to Nancy Sue.